If youre one of, ya know, one jillion women who resort to birth control as a way to avoid pregnancy, theres a chance its affecting other aspects of your life.
Researchers atKarolinska Institutet in Sweden worked alongsidethe Stockholm School of Economics to uncover a potential connection between birth control pills and their general effect on a womans well-being.
Despite the fact that an estimated 100 million women around the world use contraceptive pills, we know surprisingly little today about the pills effect on womens health, Angelica Linden Hirschberg, professor at the Department of Womens and Childrens Health at Karolinska Institutet and the lead author of the study, saidin a statement.
Women frequently claim that odd mood swings lead them to stop taking the pill within the first twelve months of their prescription. While theres plenty of hearsay when it comes to birth controls effects on a womans quality of life, there isnt exactly a heavy amount of scientific evidence.
Connections have attempted to be made, but past studies have demonstrated that theres nothing substantial tying a womans hormones on the pill to mood changes or being depressed. So Hirschberg decided to find out for herself.
Hirschberg and her team of researchers gave340 women (between ages 18 and 35) doses ofeither placebos or contraceptive pills containing ethinylestradiol (an estrogen) and levonorgestrel (a progestin) over the course ofthree months.
The women were kept in the dark and not aware of which theyd be given.
Hirschbergs results reassured her and her team that, like previous studies found, theresminimal correlation between the pill and any signs of depression, as the changes they noted were quite small.
She did, however, emphasize the contraceptives negative impact on a womans quality of life and how it should be brought up to anyone considering a prescription from their physician. While chances of depression may not be great, there are still symptoms that can be brought about if a woman takesoral contraceptives for a long time.
This possible degradation of quality of life should be paid attention to and taken into account in conjunction with prescribing of contraceptive pills and when choosing a method of contraception, said Niklas Zethraeus, associate professor at the Department of Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics at Karolinska Institutet.
Its important for any medical personnel to bring this information to light and discuss the possible side effects that may come from taking the pill (as would potentially come with any drug), under whatevercircumstance.
An informed decision is the best decision.
Its times like these that I am very,very thankful to have a penis.
Subscribe to Elite Daily’s official newsletter, The Edge, for more stories you don’t want to miss.
Sean Abrams is a sex & dating writer for Elite Daily. He enjoys long walks on the beach and large glasses of tequila. When he’s not putting his thoughts on paper, he likes to pretend he’s just like Channing Tatum in “Step Up” as a hip hop d …
- One Of The Most Common Contraceptive Pills May Affect Your Well ... - Huffington Post Australia - April 27th, 2017
- New study: Birth control pills reduce women's well-being :: Catholic ... - Catholic News Agency - April 27th, 2017
- Virginia Governor Signs Law Expanding Coverage Of Birth Control - WAMU 88.5 - April 27th, 2017
- Lawmakers OK proposed birth control, mom accommodations - The San Luis Obispo Tribune - April 27th, 2017
- IUD Birth Control - Intrauterine Device | BirthControl.com - April 26th, 2017
- NYC to test 'birth control' on unusual animal - AOL - April 26th, 2017
- Some States Are Making It Easier To Get Birth Control | FiveThirtyEight - FiveThirtyEight - April 26th, 2017
- Birth Control is Much More Than That - Greenville College Papyrus - April 26th, 2017
- 10 Herbal Supplements That Could Be Messing With Your Birth Control Pills - SheKnows.com - April 26th, 2017
- Long-term birth control is the most reliable. So why do so few young women use it? - Washington Post - April 25th, 2017
- Trump defends birth-control requirement under Obamacare - Washington Post - April 25th, 2017
- A comic about birth control educates patients and providers - Scope (blog) - April 25th, 2017
- Health Matters: Can Birth Control Lower Cancer Risk - NBC2 News - April 24th, 2017
- Are Those Birth Control Pills Working for You, or Against You? - Wall Street Pit - April 24th, 2017
- Study finds the birth control pill has a pretty terrible impact on ... - ScienceAlert - April 23rd, 2017
- Planned Parenthood: Birth Control Must Be Free for Women - Breitbart News - April 22nd, 2017
- Study Finds Birth Control Pill May Worsen Your Mood, Overall ... - Shape Magazine - April 22nd, 2017
- A Doctor Answers: Will Birth Control Make Me Gain Weight? - POPSUGAR - April 22nd, 2017
- Certain Birth Control Pills Might Make You Feel Like Crap, Says A New Study - BuzzFeed News - April 22nd, 2017
- Everything You Need to Know Before Getting An IUD - TIME - April 20th, 2017
- Nat Geo Is Producing a Birth Control Doc - NewsBusters - NewsBusters (blog) - April 20th, 2017
- Bella Thorne Won't Take Birth Control & This Is Why! - PerezHilton.com - April 20th, 2017
- Bella Thorne Is 'All Natural,' Doesn't Even Take Birth Control - Yahoo Food - April 20th, 2017
- SCOTUS Just Heard a Church Playground Case That Could Affect Birth Control Access - Yahoo Health - April 20th, 2017
- Women's wellness: What birth control is right for you? - Journal Times - April 19th, 2017
- Jessica Chastain: Women's Rights Will 'Head Backward' Without Free Birth Control from Planned Parenthood - Breitbart News - April 19th, 2017
- Jessica Chastain: I want my free birth control and I want it now - Washington Times - April 19th, 2017
- Rat birth control could curb New York's pest problem - Gizmag - New Atlas - April 19th, 2017
- With even birth control in short supply in Venezuela, some women turn to sterilization - Miami Herald - April 19th, 2017
- Birth Control Methods - Birth Control Options - April 16th, 2017
- Which birth control is right for you? - Seattle Times - April 15th, 2017
- Finding My Voice Through The Reproductive Health Movement - Refinery29 - April 14th, 2017
- Medicaid offers Connecticut women birth control right after delivery - Litchfield County Times - April 13th, 2017
- New birth control app lets you skip the doctor's visit - VICE News - April 13th, 2017
- WHO Seeks Additional Birth Control API Manufacturers as US FDA Bans China Site - Regulatory Focus - April 12th, 2017
- Women's wellness: What birth control is right for you? - Duluth News Tribune - April 12th, 2017
- There's a scrotal injection that works as reversible male birth control, but drug companies won't fund it - Quartz - April 12th, 2017
- Medicaid Offers Birth Control Right After Delivery - Hartford Courant - Hartford Courant - April 12th, 2017
- Birth control for rats? Don't laugh, it's a reality, and cities want it - Phys.Org - April 11th, 2017
- Women have more options when choosing birth control - KCRG - April 11th, 2017
- Medicaid offers birth control after delivery - CT Post - April 10th, 2017
- Women's wellness: What birth control is right for you? - Frederick News Post (subscription) - April 10th, 2017
- Diaphragms Are Making a Comeback as a Birth Control Method - Glamour - April 10th, 2017
- Birth Control for Rats? Don't Laugh, It's a Reality - UANews (press release) - April 10th, 2017
- New male contraceptive is safe, effective, inexpensive - and can't find a company to sell it - Napa Valley Register - April 9th, 2017
- Can male birth control level the relationship playing field? - WTSP 10 News - April 9th, 2017
- Women's wellness: What birth control is right for you? - Greensboro News & Record - April 8th, 2017
- Aisha Sultan: A funny thing about men and birth control - STLtoday.com - April 7th, 2017
- Heated birth control debate in Polish parliament - thenews.pl - April 7th, 2017
- Study tests new birth control for men - Washington Times - Washington Times - April 7th, 2017
- This Birth Control Delivery Service Is Almost Too Good to Be True - POPSUGAR - April 7th, 2017
- Five Types of Male Birth Control We'll Probably Never Get to Use - Lifehacker Australia - April 6th, 2017
- FT Roundup: House Passes Birth Control Bill - Free Times - April 6th, 2017
- Whoopi Defends Schools Giving Girls Birth Control Because They ... - NewsBusters (blog) - April 6th, 2017
- Meet the company that's looking to make non-surgical male birth control a reality - TechCrunch - April 6th, 2017
- Make Birth Control Free - Huffington Post Canada - April 6th, 2017
- We're one step closer to finally actually maybe having birth control ... - Mashable - April 5th, 2017
- Birth control measure passes Colorado House, sent to uncertain future in Senate - Colorado Springs Gazette - April 5th, 2017
- Trump Has Pulled Funding For a UN Organization That Supports ... - TheStranger.com - April 5th, 2017
- New male contraceptive is safe, effective, inexpensive and can't find a company to sell it - Omaha World-Herald - April 5th, 2017
- Mom Outraged After Daughter Gets Birth Control Implants From School Field Trip - Church Militant - April 5th, 2017
- Trump Has Pulled Funding For a UN Organization That Supports Birth Control - The Portland Mercury (blog) - April 4th, 2017
- Whoopi Defends Schools Giving Girls Birth Control Because They 'Don't Teach Sex Ed' - NewsBusters (blog) - April 4th, 2017
- 50 Years Ago This Week: How Birth Control Changed Everything - TIME - April 4th, 2017
- Navigating Cancer 4/4/2017: Birth control pills: Cancer protection or cause? - Citrus County Chronicle - April 4th, 2017
- A Male-Birth-Control Injection May Soon Be Available in India, But Drugmakers Aren't Getting Behind It - New York Magazine - April 4th, 2017
- Mom outraged when daughter, 16, gets birth-control implant after school arranges trip to clinic - TheBlaze.com - April 4th, 2017
- ReproWrites: Men benefit from birth control too - The Post - April 3rd, 2017
- Birth Control Causes Depression? Not So Fast - New York Times - April 3rd, 2017
- Birth control for men not exciting Big Pharma - Bend Bulletin - April 2nd, 2017
- New male contraceptive is safe, effective and inexpensive but no company has agreed to sell it - Chicago Tribune - April 1st, 2017
- Women turn to long-term birth control with Trump's ideas - Iowa State Daily - April 1st, 2017
- This Senate Vote Threatens Millions of Women's Birth Control Access and More - Brit + Co - April 1st, 2017
- States Push to Protect Birth Control Despite Failed GOP Bill - NBC 10 Philadelphia - April 1st, 2017
- What Birth Control Is Right For You? - Huffington Post - March 31st, 2017
- Pigeon birth control distributed at Texas Tech | KXAN.com - KXAN.com - March 31st, 2017
- After Pledging to Empower Women, Pence Votes to Deprive Them of Birth Control - Broadly - March 31st, 2017
- Lawson: Affordable birth control affects everyone - Iowa State Daily - March 31st, 2017
- Proposed bill would make birth control more accessible for Maine women - WGME - March 31st, 2017
- There's A New Male Birth Control In The Works - Task & Purpose - Task & Purpose - March 31st, 2017